White sand, warm blue water,
beautiful Marco Island...
This is known to be the second sand island all over the world with 98% of it set for a National Park. It is home to many features right from the pristine white sandy beaches, huge sand dunes, native animals, crystal clear freshwater lakes, abundant wildflowers, and creeks.
TThis island was originally referred to as Moorgumpin; the name literally means land of sandhills. Its first inhabitants were the Ngugi tribe. The people of this land as a strong spiritual believe through their connection with the sea and land, here, some animals are even linked with some customs and traditions. Many cultural sites have made to be recorded over this beautiful island and include large shell middens, bone and shell scatter and a stone quarry.
Note that this island is only accessible fully by the 4WD vehicle and in case you lack one, you can consider hiring one at the resort. You can choose their populous island safaris or also plan to be picked up by Marco Island 4WD Taxi Service to take you all through this beautiful island.
Beautiful places to tour
- The North Point
- For a refreshing dip, head to the Blue Lagoon
- For a saltwater spa or surf, The Champagne pools are there for you
- For a picnic around the island, The Honeymoon Bay is your place
- Consider Tangalooma Wrecks for snorkeling and diving
- At the Cape Moreton, you can walk up to watch the giant rays, whales, and turtles at the lighthouse
- To have an incredible 360 degrees view of the island, Mt Tempest is there for you
- To pick up some fresh oysters at Kooringal and have lunch, consider Bulwer
- Visit Toompani Beach or Cowan to visit the WWII defense batteries
- The big sand hills and small sand hills at Toboggan desert
- Wander around the deserted stretch of beach and read from that place, swim and also sleep
At the island, there are actually many walking tracks just right from half-day hikes to the short easy stroll ones. Wandering around this site is among the ways you can appreciate its features and there you can discover its different wildlife habitats.